Producer Duties

Production Reporting

  • Report accurate total production by unit.
  • Production must be kept separate by unit.
  • Do not commingle storage of production from different units, unless federal guidelines are followed.
  • Sign reporting form and Privacy Act statement.

Acreage Reporting

  • Report correct acres by crop and practice. Verify with FSA certification documents (errors or missed reporting could lead to lower or no loss payments at all).
  • Report the correct planting date.
  • Report accurate percent of share on each unit (errors or missed reporting could lead to lower or no loss payments at all).
  • Report all acres. Be sure to include prevented planting, uninsurable and late planted.
  • Sign reporting form and Privacy Act statement, as applicable.

Pivot Corners-follow federal guidelines for optional units:

  • All corners need to be broken out per pivot.
  • Clear and discernable break from irrigated unit.
  • Break may occur up until the acreage reporting date (discing, cultivating, mowing, etc. does qualify).
  • Keep production separate.

Best options

  • Plant field to a different crop.
  • Plant the same crop in a different row direction.
  • Include corners with the irrigated unit (not Recommended).

Call Your Crop Insurance Specialist

  • When damage occurs.
  • When you feel there could be a loss.
  • Before you replant.
  • Before you chop or do anything other than harvest the crop.

Your Duties in the Event of a Loss

In case of a loss or probable loss to your crops and/or if replanting crops insured under your crop insurance policy, you must notify your crop insurance specialist.

General Duties

  • A crop insurance loss must be reported within 72 hours of initial discovery or damage, but not later than 15 days after the end of the insurance period. The end of the insurance period is defined as the earliest of the following:
  • Total destruction of the crop;
  • Harvest of the unit;
  • Final adjustment of a loss on a unit;
  • Calendar date in the Crop Provisions for the end of the insurance period;
  • Abandonment of the crop on the unit; or
  • As otherwise specified in the Crop Provisions.

The loss paperwork completed with the adjuster is the Claim for Indemnity. It must be submitted no later than 60 days after the end of the insurance period.

Prevented Planted

  • Prevented planted claims must be submitted within 72 hours of the end of the late plante period for that crop and can’t be submitted until after the final plant date for the crop.
  • Once an acreage report is submitted, there can be no revisions to change the prevented planted acres to a different crop.


  • Acres replanted must be at least 20 acres or 20% of the unit to qualify for a replant payment.
  • If you qualify for a replant, your payment will be calculated as follows:
    • Corn Replant = 8 bushels of corn times the price election multiplied by share in the crop and acres.
    • Soybean Replant = 3 bushels of soybeans times the price election multiplied by share in the crop and acres.


  • You cannot chop over 50% of your corn field for silage, until an adjuster appraises it, regardless of whether or not there is a loss.
  • In a no loss situation, if you chop less than 50%, you can convert the remaining yield to grain on your APH for MPCI only.
  • For CRC and RA, crops must be appraised or strips left to harvest or chop for silage (potential for revenue loss).

Production Record Keeping

  • Hard records include weight tickets, feed records, etc. and are used for loss purposes.
  • Soft records include weight-wagon slips and yield monitors and can be used for APH purposes (but not for loss purposes).
  • If bin measurements are used, call your crop insurance specialist for more information.
  • If you feed to livestock, have a field appraisal done, regardless of whether or not there is a loss.
  • If you have grain in a bin and plan on feeding the grain from the bin please call us to measure the bin or get with FSA to get a bin measurement of the grain before it is fed.

**Please call your Crop Insurance Specialist to check on more details as this is only a brief overview